Friday, January 27, 2012

The final days...

After a long day Wednesday, Gina, Marcelo and I met with Claudio “Patta” at the location he flies from, “Fazenda Guará”, a large rice and pasture farm. Patta has been flying for Fazenda Guará for 18 years. The farm plants 5,000 ha (12,500 acres) of rice. The farm uses 18 combines for the rice harvest with storage on the farm. Patta flies about 400 hours a year using a single Ipanema. 

Patta is also a director for Sindicato Nacional dos Aeronauticas (SNA). This is a Brazilian general aviation association for pilots. Patta represents ag-pilots. He is working to host an ag-pilot congress in Cachoeira do Sul in August 2012. 

After our visit with Patta, we began the six-hour drive east on BR290 highway to Cachoeira do Sul. There were several instances when traffic presented driving challenges that Marcelo handled very well. It was not uncommon to find yourself head-on with another car on the two-lane highway. Nobody gets upset, unlike the road rage that would be found in the U.S. However, U.S. drivers are much more disciplined and I believe safer; maybe not better drivers, but safer ones. 

One such occasion, after we had avoided a collision, Marcelo mutters to himself in Portuguese, “For one minute in your life, don’t lose your life in one minute.” I asked him to repeat in English and found his comment interesting in that is applies well to ag-aviation. What’s the point of turning the aircraft a few seconds quicker just to save a few minutes in a day, to only die in one of those minutes? 

My week of travel in Brazil has come to a close. It has been a busy and fruitful week. Thursday night, I had dinner with Gina’s family. Friday, Marcelo and Gina drove me the 2.5-hour drive to Porto Alegre to catch my flight to Montevideo where I would connect to Miami, then into Atlanta, about 28 hours of traveling altogether. 


Marcelo Drescher, owner of CIFE and an agronomist professor that teaches technology and the business of agricultural aviation to pilots, business owners and company coordinators and Gina Hickmann, AAU's Brazilian representative.

However, never let down your guard while in Brazil. Upon check-in, I am told my flight is delayed by three hours. In an effort to save money on the airline travel, I had booked two separate flights with two different, non-partner airlines. The savings was significant, over $700. Now, as I write this at the Porto Alegre airport, I find I might miss my connection in Montevideo. The two airlines don’t code share, so the flight back to the States would surely leave without me if the delay is any longer than three hours. Oh well...

Until whenever, 
Keep Turning

No comments:

Post a Comment