Thursday, March 11, 2010

Longtime Friend

I've just returned from a very quick overnight trip to Fargo, North Dakota. Oddly enough, I was there only a couple of weeks ago attending the hugely successful Tri-States convention (400+ attendees and 55-60 exhibitors). But, this trip was different. It was to honor a longtime friend of mine, Ron Deck of Sky Tractor Supply in Hillsboro. Ron was inducted into the 2010 Upper Midwest Symposium Hall of Fame for his lifelong aviation achievements.

Most of us know Ron through his family-run company, Sky Tractor. I met Ron on the tradeshow circuit about 25 years ago. I don't remember the exact event, but it was about the time he was serving as president of NAAA. We traveled together on several occasions in his infamous blue/white and red/white vans (he now has a very nice 40' motorhome for tradeshow-traveling) mostly in Canada, North Dakota and Minnesota, with Ron taking me under his wing and introducing me to operators in these locales.

The Hall of Fame induction focused on Ron's achievements in business and family over the last 40+ years. I sat at the banquet table and thought of all the kindness, honesty and insight Ron had relayed to me. On more than one occasion, we would discuss intricate details of politics, religion and crop dusting. His knowledge was and is vast.

So, in closing, I congratulate Ron Deck on a job well done and very deserving of his North Dakota Hall of Fame recognition. Take care, my friend.

1 comment:

  1. I am certain that each of us came away from the Hall of Fame banquet echoing Ron's words in our minds - "if it can be done, we have to do it better" and "share your knowledge". No wonder his successes have been many! A very well deserved award, to a very classy guy.

    ReplyDelete